Friday, November 9, 2007

Exposure vs. Naiveté to Media

As a kid, I was extremely sheltered from anything that could be considered impure or non-Christian. I wasn't even allowed to watch some PG and most PG-13 movies, or if so, with some censorship. I remember watching "Crocodile Dundee" with my parents, and my father had memorized where every cuss word was mentioned and seriously muted the t.v. every time a cuss word was coming. He fast forwarded through "racy" scenes: one with the woman in her swimsuit and another when she was wearing a suggestive red dress. I remember watching the movie when I was older and wondering what was so bad about it, because I had seen so much more "tarnishing" images.
I remember experimenting with cuss words that I had learned from either other school kids or my sister, and I got in trouble for saying something I didn't know what it meant and I ever said it wrong. I called another kid an "Asp." I also remember my older sister giving me a hard time anytime I didn't know a bad word. I would ask what that word meant, and she would say, "You mean you don't know what that means?" It would make me feel like an idiot, because I didn't know.
Many of my friends now and in high school would say I have missed out on many classic movies or songs, because I had never been exposed to anything outside of my bubble, if you will. My family always thought it best to shelter me from the world, and my sister also tried to shelter me from the violence and arguments between my parents. We would go play in our rooms at the first signs of a fight. And sometimes our parents would involve both of us despite my sister's efforts. I was confused when this happened, and I really don't remember a lot from the past. Maybe I blocked it out. Maybe, since I was never exposed to anger or negative feelings and situations in movies, t.v. or any media, I wasn't prepared for "the real world." And maybe I shut down, not knowing how to deal with these episodes. My family thought they were doing the best by "protecting" me from feeling pain, sadness, or other "negative" emotions, but, ironically, the very people trying to protect me from it all ended up exposing me to it.
I know they tried their best and I don't want to criticize their parenting, but in my adult life, I regret my naiveté and feel I'd be stronger if I knew what situations I'd be faced with. But you learn as you go along, and now I have more passion to understand the world and expose myself to new and unique experiences, adding to my cultural knowledge and depth as a person.
My conclusion is that there needs to be a balance between total exposure to the "real world" and complete sheltered naiveté. As long as the exposure is monitored and an adult figure is there to say "this is right" or "this is wrong," gradually, the child will learn for themselves and can come to their own conclusions.

No comments: